Here is how chlorine chemistry plays a key role in American innovation and job creation:
- Chlorine-related industries supply over 160 thousand U.S. jobs, including green jobs.
- Chlor-alkali industry employees earn a total of more than $8.8 billion in wages each year.
- Roughly ½ of the products of the chemistry industry depend on chlorine chemistry.
- The vast majority of U.S. water systems use chlorine to help provide safe drinking water.
- 88% of top-selling U.S. pharmaceuticals are made with chlorine chemistry.
- 86% of crop protection chemicals are made with chlorine chemistry.
- Chlorine chemistry helps remove impurities from aluminum cans during recycling, diverting trash from landfills, saving energy and precious resources.
- Durable, corrosion-resistant PVC pipe, a product of chlorine chemistry, is a sustainable solution for water infrastructure renewal.
- Hydrogen, a co-product of the chlor-alkali process, can be used as a zero-emission fuel in plant boilers, reducing a facility’s carbon footprint.
» download the Chlor-alkali fact sheet
A recent economic analysis found that using chlorine chemistry in these nine end-use applications saves U.S. and Canadian consumers over $630 billion every year: